Our journey to implement Qlik Sense at the Ministry of Health
Eva Sundin and Esther Lim
Getting to know the sponsors – valuable input
Moving from gatekeepers to shopkeepers
Make it easier for people to access the data they need
• Keep the information safe
• Support and encourage people to actively engage with data
• Design and implement a sustainable service with reusable components
• Continuous improvement
“In the age of self-service, the traditional models of governance, which have always been about restricting access, really no longer work. The job of governance moves from being gatekeepers of data to something like shopkeepers.“
Donald Farmer, TreeHive Strategy.
Technology is only one piece of the puzzle.
Improving the Ministry’s data and analytics capability is not just about improving the technology. It is also about:
• Data: Investing in data governance and data management that fit with modern analytical tools and methods
• Analytics: Having everyone at the Ministry continually improve their data literacy and capability
• Culture & practice: Having a strong culture of continuous improvement, collaboration, transparency and dedication to data- informed decision making.
Introducing progressive roles
Qlik is not just for data people
New to data
Recommended access: Viewer + No identifiers
Recommended access: Explorer + Ciphered identifiers
Recommended access: Contributor + Ciphered identifiers
Recommended access: Super user + Identifiers
Recommended access: Developer + Identifiable
Moving beyond Excel spreadsheets
I’ve had a good play with the app today and it’s looking great! Within the
bounds of the data that is available, there wasn’t anything I wanted to find
that I couldn’t. Awesome work! I can see us using this all the time!
Principal Advisor – Maternity
Reducing silos of data
I was really impressed with what you have produced so far. It was exactly what I was hoping for and it really show cased the tool. Thanks for pulling it together so quickly in a form that we can really ask questions of the data.
Director of Mental Health and Director of Addiction Services
Making privacy a priority
I have just completed both tests. Useful reminder for the privacy matters, and good introduction to the Qlik functionality. Is there any ability for us to re-use these courses for new DHB Qlik users?
Chief Data Officer, District Health Board
We can all be data-brilliant
From the project executive
The delivery of the Qlik Sense Implementation project was very challenging due to the complexity of the Ministry environment and technical challenges.
The highly successful outcome was superbly led by the Senior Project Manager, the Business Intelligence and Data Warehouse Manager, and the Principal Analyst
NCR in partnership with Ministry ICT to form a highly engaged and skilled project team.
We achieved our goal to improve the Ministry’s ability to turn data into information and actionable insights. The project was successfully delivered on time and within budget.
I’m looking forward to what we will be able to deliver in the next phase of our data journey.
- Investigate public facing data sharing opportunities (QAP)
- Build an analytical data store for analysts using data lake methodologies
- Decommission old technology
- Continue to enhance the Ministry’s Qlik services